Port of Cebu in the early 1900's
The Port of Cebu is one of the Philippines' major ports and is strategically situated in the center of the Philippine archipelago. It has been a major trading center for centuries since the around 900 A.D., well before the Spanish era of Philippine history, conducting trade with such Asian neighbors as China, Indonesia, Malaysia, and India.
On July 30, 1886 under Spanish colonial rule, the Port of Cebu was declared open to world trade with such significant exports as spices, abaca, sugar, corn, copra, tobacco, lumber, pearls, and native textiles, passing through its port.
The succeeding American colonial era saw Cebu continuing its significance as a major Philippine Seaport with chief exports of hemp, coconut oil, copra, sugar, maguey, lumber and tobacco handled through the port.
Establishment of Philippine Ports Authority
In 1974, Presidential Decree No. 505 was issued. It was aimed at providing for the reorganization of port administration and operation functions in the country and created the Philippine Ports Authority (PPA), thus, paving the way for the establishment of individual, autonomous port/industrial zone authorities in the different port districts. A year after, on December 23, 1975, PD 505 was revised to create PPA by substitution, and for other purposes.
In 1977, the Philippine Government declared as state policy the promotion of the establishment and growth of autonomous regional port bodies to produce an efficient, safe, economical and coordinated system of movement of goods and persons through the port, consistent with the constitutional mandate to give all regions of the Philippines optimum opportunity to develop.
By 1995, Port Management Office (PMO) Cebu and all ports within the Cebu province were turned over to the Cebu Port Authority.
Creation of Cebu Port Authority
The Cebu Port Authority (CPA) was created through the enactment of Republic Act No. 7621 signed on June 26, 1992 to specifically administer all ports located in Cebu Province, effectively separating these ports from the PPA system. CPA began operations and officially took over all Cebu ports on January 1, 1996.